‘Listening’ is not just an activity that is part of a conversation between two or more people. It goes much beyond that. Truly and meaningfully listening to understand the others’ point of view involves skills that surface after a considerable amount of analysis, feedback and practice.
That’s why at Zoe, we call it an ‘art’. Our research and work over the years have caused us to firmly believe that individuals who practice active or empathetic listening are more likely to gain success in whatever they seek to accomplish.
Active listeners have found themselves on a quicker path to promotions within the organisation. Managers who listen to their team members understand them better and the result is higher standards of performance, every single time.
Active listening comes naturally to some, but many others struggle in this essential area of executive functioning. It often happens that bad listeners have no idea what they are doing incorrectly and end up frustrated as a result.
This course leverages specifically designed instructor-led modules help delegates understand why ‘Active Listening’ is important and then methodically reveal the many ways in which this skill can be harnessed for success.
The initial modules in this course will help participants survey themselves to chart their own ability to listen actively, on the communication map.
The course material is designed to guide each participant to work on the areas that are identified as their personal areas of growth in the area of active listening. Participants will learn the various ways in which listening can be displayed, measured and improved as an ongoing developmental process.
This Zoe training course will empower you with everything you need to become an expert at Active Listening. Through this course, you will be able to apply the skill of Active Listening in your conversations at work and in your personal life. You will not only appear more confident and empathetic but you will see a transformation in your communication pattern.
The information and practice gained through this course will also bridge the gap in your interpersonal skills. You will also be better positioned to contribute to your individual and team performance in serving both internal and external customers at all times.
The main objective of this Active Listening Skills Training Course is to empower professionals with—
- the ability to use the art of ‘listening’ to build relationships and transform every situation into a profitable one
- real-time feedback on their own display of empathetic listening
- the necessary skill to identify and clarify any misinterpretation caused due to the lack of effective listening
- capability to demonstrate active listening even in situations of emotional distress and trauma
- the awareness to identify when a certain area of communication lacks active listening and tips to call it out with finesse
- the understanding of the great prowess and potential that a leader with good listening skills possesses
- the accomplishment of having truly harnessed the innate art of active listening at all times
Zoe Talent Solutions designs training courses to cater to our training audience and their distinctive professional background and experience. Classroom sessions with presentations by a highly experienced facilitator form a major part of our training programmes.
We encourage trainee participation through group discussions, role-plays, group activities, assessments and more. Trainees are also requested to share their experiences, issues, concerns and best practices from their respective organisations, which are facilitated by the trainer to optimise learning for the entire participant group.
In alignment with the Zoe Talent Solutions’ unique training methodology, this course follows the Do–Review–Learn–Apply Model.
Organisations whose professionals undertake this Active Listening Skills Training Course will benefit in the following ways:
- Individuals become effective listeners and therefore contribute more productively to the needs of their teams and stake-holders
- Fewer misunderstandings sited within team members and greater optimisation of human resources
- Greater credibility for the individual and the organisation
- Increased customer loyalty and satisfaction
- The decrease in the number of customer and stake-holder escalations
- Market credibility increases because of customer recommendations
- Improved individual performance and achievement of targets
- Better dispute managements
- Lower attrition as individuals feel invested in, listened to, valued and motivated
Professionals attending this Active Listening Skills Training Course will benefit in the following ways:
- A clear understanding of the role of ‘active listening’ in the conversation cycle
- Increased self-awareness of one’s present ability to listen actively
- Access to case studies, videos and practice sessions exclusively owned and run by Zoe Talent Solutions
- Ability to identify one’s area of opportunity to increase their ability to practice ‘Listening with Empathy’
- Understanding the impact of not being an active listener on one’s image
- A sense of accomplishment contributing to a steady practise of this skill and an overall improvement in performance
- The ability to role-model this skill in the organisation for subordinates to learn from and imitate
Who Should Attend
- Senior management of an organisation who may need to interact with their team-members more closely as a result of organisational re-structure
- Finance advisors and managers deployed in customer-facing roles
- Sales and Marketing executives responsible for placing consumer needs to sell products/services
- Executives who work in teams
- Trainers, teaching staff, educators and administrators responsible for interacting with students and faculty
- Human Resource Managers, Executives and Leaders responsible for employee engagement, performance and organisational development
- Government officials responsible for communication and administration in government sectors
- Hospital staff, support staff in volunteer camps and faculty catering to the needs of patients
- Any other professional who would like to improve their listening skills
The course will cover the following areas that are essential in understanding the importance of Active Listening and increasing the participants’ ability to practice this skill effectively.
Module 1 – Introduction to Listening
- What is communication?
- The Communication Cycle
- Part 1: Invite and Inform
- Part 2: Listen
- Active Listening
Module 2 – Stages of Listening
- Practice and Role-plays
Module 3 – Listening Behaviour & Models
- Common Listening Behaviour
- Combative Listening
- Passive Listening
- Empathetic Listening
- The HURIER model
- Application and Techniques
Module 4 – Types of Listening
- Introduction & self-assessment
- Case-study and Discussion
Module 5 – Listening with Empathy
- Stated and unstated needs
- Listening without Judgement
- Workplace Application
Module 6 – Internal Barriers to Listening
- Introduction to listening barriers
- Psychological barriers
- Attitudinal barriers
- Curiosity & questioning
- Ways to overcome internal barriers
Module 7 – External Barriers to Listening
- Language barriers
- Physiological barriers
- Physical barriers
- Techniques to overcome external barriers
Module 8 – Accents and Ethnicities
- Tip of the ice-berg
- Key words
- Listen to understand
- Global Communication
- Cross-cultural conversations
- Summary & Feedback