In case of any fraudulent activity or misconduct, the time taken for the investigation and the quality of investigation to ensure that the correct conclusions are drawn are of utmost importance.
Unless such activities or misconduct is treated seriously and the guilty receive disciplinary action, no fear is created against such activities. However, in doing so, it must be assured that only the guilty receive disciplinary action and no innocent person is unnecessarily involved in this entire process.
To be able to do so, gathering evidence effectively and accurately becomes a very critical aspect. Evidence can be obtained in many ways, through inquiries, questionnaires, face-to-face discussions, interviews, physical searches, etc. However, in most cases, physical searches may not reveal much because of the high risk of tampering or interference in the process.
The most effective way of gathering accurate evidence is through investigative interviews. Given the importance and sensitivity of this means of evidence collection, only specialised, trained individuals can be part of the process. Possessing investigative interviewing skills is a mandate if one is to undertake this role.
This is because the role is not only complex and risky but also needs the presence of mind, creativity, assertiveness and confidence through the interview process in order to deliver fruitful results.
For professionals in this role, understanding laws of evidence, identifying evidence, cross-questioning, raising appropriate questions in the appropriate way and at the appropriate time, comprehending evidence and devising definite next steps or follow-up questions are some of the key skills or attributes that they need to possess.
Current global economic trends and conditions are exerting more pressure on individuals to seek financial gain through illegal means, thus giving rise to a number of fraudulent practices that need investigation. In such cases, investigative interviews need to be conducted in a robust, ethical and transparent manner.
Conducting investigative interviews requires extreme focus and presence of mind since an interviewer cannot be biased, should not place forth his/her opinion and should probe intently to get the required answers through some form or the other. Thus, training in gathering evidence and interviewing skills is a mandate for professionals closely and remotely related to this process.
This Zoe’s interviewing skills training course will empower you with all the necessary skills and knowledge to thoroughly understand evidence gathering and investigative interviewing skills and successfully undertake roles in these areas.
Further, this interviewing skills training course will help you with additional information of new and modern methods of gathering evidence and conducting interviews as well as ideal practices to make the most of these opportunities.
This interviewing skills training course will also enable you to conduct effective interviews to reach accurate conclusions with no bias or influence. The skills and knowledge gained through this course will prepare you to assume roles with higher responsibilities and will provide you the confidence and experience to perform well in these roles, eventually contributing to growth and development in your career.
By undertaking this course, you will become capable of ensuring that correct justice and judgements are passed in such cases.
The main objective of this interviewing skills course is to empower professionals with—
- detailed information and knowledge of techniques related to evidence gathering and investigative interviewing
- the required experience and information to gain credibility and reliability as an interviewer or official in charge of gathering evidence
- the required exposure and awareness to understand witness or subject psyche and memory
- awareness of best practices of verbal and non-verbal communication in case of evidence gathering and/or interview
- the required experience, confidence and capability to manage difficult and challenging behaviour during interviews
- the required skill and technique to be able to alter one’s approach when interviewing different kinds of people, such as kids, senior citizens, aggressive persons, etc.
- the necessary experience and ability to successfully gather and manage evidence
- additional knowledge of advanced tools and techniques used for investigation and interviewing
All training courses at Zoe Talent Solutions are customisable as per the requirement of the training audience. In the case of no special requirements or requests, Zoe Talent Solutions reviews the training content each time to ensure that it relates to the nature of the training audience. Batch sizes are kept limited to ensure equal attention to and equal participation by all trainees.
Audio-visual presentations and lectures, followed by case studies, role-plays, group activities and experience sharing, form part of the training methods. A practical approach to training is preferred over the theoretical approach, and this increases the participation and involvement of trainees in the course.
Like all Zoe Talent Solutions courses, this one too follows the unique and effective Do–Review–Learn–Apply Model.
With professionals undertaking this interviewing skills training course, their organisations will benefit in the following ways:
- Experienced and trained employees to effectively gather evidence and/or conduct investigative interviews
- Faster resolution to issues and conflicts because of complete transparency during the process and clear conclusions drawn from clear evidence
- Increased credibility and reliability as an organisation because of trained professionals partaking in the entire process
- More objective conclusions and closures to investigation cases because of adequate evidence through effective interviewing
- Growth of the organisation because of more successful closures to investigation cases
- Adequate information and evidence derived from interviews and cross-questioning in a tactful manner
- Timely action for disciplinary cases because of early warning signals correctly identified and addressed by the trained professionals
By undertaking this interviewing skills training, professionals will benefit in the following ways
- Complete understanding of best practices and advanced techniques and methods of evidence gathering and/or investigative interviewing
- Better decision making (more objective) as a result of clear evidence and transparent interviews with clear next steps
- Increased skill, confidence and experience to use advanced tools and techniques for evidence gathering and investigative interviewing
- Greater confidence, experience and capability to undertake more critical and difficult cases for resolution, thus demonstrating the potential for future growth in one’s role
- Increased credibility and reliability because of more successful closures to cases
- Higher awareness of best practices of verbal and non-verbal communication
- Greater experience and skill to predict changes or challenges in the interview process and alter one’s questions or approach accordingly to derive maximum information
- Increased control over one’s state of mind and emotions to conduct unbiased, un-opinionated interviews
- Greater potential and skill to ensure justice and appropriate judgements are passed
Who Should Attend
- Senior members of organisations as they would be involved in decision making or fact presentation during the investigation process
- Human resource professionals who need to conduct investigative interviews for cases at an organisational level
- Internal and external auditors and other investigators who will need to validate claims against facts for any sphere of work or function in an organisation
- Forensic experts, fraud investigators and private investigators responsible for conducting stringent investigations in fraud cases
- Police officers and risk management agencies responsible for managing risks and addressing critical and sensitive instances requiring investigation
- Law enforcement agencies who need to ensure that all legal and regulatory standards are being adhered to and there is no misconduct or misbehaviour within the organisation
- Any other professional who, by virtue of his/her role, needs to be part of the evidence gathering and investigative interviewing process
The interviewing skills training course will cover the following areas important to understand and successfully carry forth evidence gathering and investigative interviewing:
Module 1 – Types of Evidence
- Direct evidence
- Real evidence
- Documentary evidence
- Photos, videotapes, audiotapes
- Expert, circumstantial, corroborating evidence
Module 2 – Evidence Gathering Techniques
- Expert opinion
- Focus group
- External confirmation
- Internal searches
Module 3 – Best Practices of Evidence Gathering
- Take notes
- Avoid touching exhibits
- Handle exhibits as less as possible
- Label and identify exhibits carefully
Module 4 – Features of an Interview
- Fact seeking
Module 5 – Important Aspects of an Interview
- Warnings and representation
- Rapport building
- Investigative questions
- Behavioural analysis and conclusion
Module 6 – Preparation for an Interview
- Devise strategy
- Plan scenario
- Include personnel
- Create setting
- Maintain sequence
- Minimise physical barriers
- Reduce distractions
- Minimise observable body language
Module 7 – Steps in an Investigative Interview
- Deciding logical sequence of questions
- Posing objective questions and probing
- Development of the topic
- Summary of the interview
Module 8 – Key Skills of a Successful Investigator
- Communication and interviewing skills
- Control over emotions
- Honesty and ethical conduct
- Knowledge of the law
- Critical thinking/problem solving
- Research skills
- Writing skills