Public Governance includes all underlying principles, laws and rules that help a public sector organisation function. Bad governance could lead to exponential negative impact to the public because its scope influences the entire population. Good governance, on the other hand, has a positive impact and is extremely important to citizens and the civic society, the latter two having major roles to play in the quality of public governance.
There are many other factors, besides citizens and the civic society, that influence public governance, and it is thus important to look at all of these to ensure the proper functioning of an organisation in the public sector. Among these, national institutions that can make fair and appropriate governance-related decisions are prominent.
Local governments too play a significant role in the delivery of high-quality services to the society. Thus, measuring local government performance and increasing accountability of local government bureaucracies and politicians are major contributors to good governance. Public governance and the success of it has recently started revolving around three main factors – efficiency, quality and transparency.
Government decisions and allocation of resources and spending directly affect public services. Many challenges could impact the quality of service delivery, including corruption, lack of public awareness, political pressure and/or control, lack of decentralisation, resistance to change, etc.
With the increasing demand of the public for high quality and efficiency services, Open Government Partnership as a concept is gaining increasing focus and attention, which is ultimately resulting in increased transparency, accountability and responsiveness to the public, among many other benefits. This new form of governance empowers citizens to take action to achieve the desired social outcome.
It is a proven fact that governments formed of the people function better to fulfil the needs of the public. This, in turn, gives rise to the demand for easier access of citizens to all necessary information and data to help them be part of the governance and contribute to its success. Thus, for a public sector professional, it is extremely important to identify the correct opportunities for improving the quality of governance and ultimately the quality of service to the public.
This ZOE’s Governance and Leadership in Public Sector Management Course will empower you with immense experience and knowledge to make reforms to public service delivery and efficiently manage any initiative undertaken to improve governance in the public sector. It will not just help you manage such initiatives well, but will also enrich your understanding and capability to identify possible gaps in governance in the public sector and take necessary steps in time to resolve these.
The detailed study of open government partnership as the most significant resolution to all issues faced during public governance will lead to rippling benefits to society. This training program will cover open government partnership in detail, and many other factors that are necessary to identify, thus enabling you to address most, if not all, problems related to governance in the public sector.
- An overall understanding of governance in the public sector and its related challenges
- An ability to pre-empt all possible challenges and hindrances to good governance in the public sector and keep handy the solutions thereof
- Multiple options to ensure that quality and efficiency of public service delivery is not hampered
- The skill to identify gaps in public governance and undertake initiatives to improve or resolve these
- The capability to engage citizens and the civic society in governance reform initiatives
- Potential to play an active part in the reform of public sector governance in order to address all challenges and gaps for better quality, efficiency and effectiveness
- Experience and exposure to bring about more transparency and accountability in the public sector
Training at Zoe Talent Solutions depends on the trainee or trainee group attending the course. The course content and method of delivery is modified and customised, depending on the background of the participants.
It is a two-way interactive process involving presentations on the topic and delivery by the trainer in person, discussions and group activities by trainees, group and individual assignments during the course of study, competitions and role-plays.
The training for this Governance and Leadership in Public Sector Management Course follows Zoe Talent Solutions’ universal Do–Review–Learn–Apply Model.
With public sector professionals attending the course, the organisation will benefit in the following ways:
- Greater transparency, ownership and accountability by all stakeholders
- Higher quality and efficiency in public services, thus impacting the society positively
- Greater customer satisfaction from public services
- More insights into capitalizing on all avenues to create more opportunities and innovation in public sector governance for a positive change
- More consideration towards citizens and the civic society and greater involvement of the two for first-hand feedback on quality and other aspects of service delivery
- More efficient and quality-conscious work environment and culture
Through this Governance and Leadership in Public Sector Management Course, public sector professionals will derive the following benefits:
- Greater understanding of end-to-end governance in the public sector
- Increased ability and better preparedness to face all challenges and hindrances to good governance
- More knowledge of dealing with low standards of governance and improving it through the most applicable means
- More information on how to engage citizens and the civic society in public sector governance
- Increased ability and knowledge to anticipate, identify, initiate and manage government reform measures and activities
- Increased agility to take on higher roles and responsibilities within one’s domain
- Higher capabilities of handling all aspects of governance in the public sector, thus fostering faster growth and progression.
Who Should Attend?
- Senior public sector officials and management – to thoroughly understand all critical aspects impacting the quality of public governance and find ways to improve governance in the public services
- Members of the human resource departments of a public sector organisation responsible for creating a performance-driven, value-based, incentivised work culture for better results in terms of efficiency and quality.
- Audit and compliance experts responsible for ensuring transparency and integrity of information and facts reported by public sector organisations.
- Any other public servant who can contribute to an overall improvement to the quality of public sector governance
The Governance and Leadership in Public Sector Management Course will cover the following areas that are critical for the effectiveness of measures to improve governance in public services:
Module 1 – Governance in the Public Services
- Overview of governance in the public services
- Importance of governance in the public services
- Difference between public governance and governance in other sectors
- Hindrances to good governance in the public services
Module 2 – Important Stakeholders for Improving Governance in the Public Services
- Directors/Board Members
- Local Governments and Civic Societies
- HR Professionals
Module 3 – Principles of Good Governance
- Rule of law
- Public sector ethics and values
Module 4 – Steps to Improve Governance in the Public Services
- Establishing political accountability
- Establishing complete transparency and accountability of the government to its people
- Better fiscal management
- Use of technology to increase efficiency in public service delivery
- Training and mentoring of public sector professionals
Module 5 – Hindrances to Improving Public Governance and Solutions to Overcome Them
- Manpower shortage
- Political imperatives
- Poor judicial performance
- Weak legislatures
- Resistance to change by public sector professionals
Module 6 – Public Sector Reforms
- Steps to initiate public sector reforms
- Features of a successful public sector reform
- Supporting conditions/requirements for public sector reforms
- Tools to measure the effectiveness of a public sector reform
Module 7 – Performance Management of Public Sector Professionals
- Definition of performance management of public sector professionals
- Methods to set performance targets and measure the performance of public sector professionals
- Changing performance measurement to performance management
- Benefits of performance management
Module 8 – Open Government Partnerships
- Definition of Open Government Partnerships
- Aims of this initiative
- Benefits of this initiative
Module 9 – Influencers/Success Factors of Good Governance in the Public Services
- Defined framework of policies and processes
- Robust performance management systems and processes
- Optimistic work culture
- Good internal and external stakeholder relationships
- Well-managed budgets
- Good human resource management practices
- All our courses can be facilitated as Customized In-House Training course.
- Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
- As for Open Enrolment Courses, we offer our clients the flexibility to choose the location, date, and time and our team of experts who are spread around the globe will assist in facilitating the course.
- The course fee includes facilitation, training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate of successful completion of Training.
- FREE Consultation and Coaching provided during and after the course.