Globalisation, modernisation, and the fast-evolving private sector have warranted urgent and necessary changes within the public sector. Citizens’ preferences for faster, better quality and more convenient services is forcing the public sector to undergo reform, which is, in turn, resulting in an increased focus on reform initiatives.
Public sector reforms are initiatives undertaken to make deliberate changes to the structure and processes of public sector organisations to enhance public administration. Reforms are mainly focused around public financial management, tax administration and transparency, operations and civil service.
The success of reforms does not only depend on and require technical knowledge and capacity; it also involves financial capabilities and political cooperation. Given how the public sector has been operated for years together, public sector reforms are faced with many complex challenges and hindrances of social and political context, such as corruption, patronage, political majority, etc.
It is thus extremely important that these reforms be carried out in a focused and planned manner, anticipating all hindrances and interferences and undertaking steps to minimise their impact on the reform initiative. A successful reform is not one that is completed on time but one that meets its objective consistently.
The success of reformed or changed processes and structures of a public sector organisation can only be beneficial if the change and enhanced processes and systems are carried forward ably and consistently. This gives rise to the need for capacity building within the public sector. Capacity building is an improvement in the abilities of the public sector through public performance enhancement activities and initiatives. While training is an important activity in this performance enhancement initiative, it is not the only one.
Capacity building is driven by a strong organisational structure, good management practices, effective communication networks and the like. Similarly, performances of individual public sector employees are influenced by opportunities for meaningful work, shared professional norms, teamwork, performance-based promotions, etc.
Considering the current situation, public sector reform and capacity building are the two most important areas of focus in the public sector, and thus, public sector professionals must understand these thoroughly.
This ZOE training course will empower you with complete knowledge and understanding of Public Sector Management. It will equip with you with all the necessary information and skills to undertake reforms and capacity building within your organisation and complete these.
Undertaking this Masterclass in Public Sector Management course will not only build your competency for additional growth opportunities within your organisation but will also help you play an important role in upskilling your peers and other colleagues, together with systems and processes, to provide better services to citizens.
This Masterclass in Public Sector Management course will also provide you with the necessary exposure to and information about other sectors, thus increasing your avenues for career growth and development.
Last but not the least, it will instil in you the confidence to be part of large projects involving multiple sectors and various large-scale initiatives with the main aim of better services to citizens, in turn contributing to the advancement of the public sector and, eventually, economic development of the nation.
The main objective of this course is to empower public sector professionals with—
- complete knowledge and information about public sector management
- the necessary exposure and skill to undertake public sector reform and capacity building initiatives with the organisation
- exposure to techniques, tools, and strategies to bring about change in the organisation in a systematic and risk-free manner
- the necessary preparedness and confidence to reduce the influence of corruption and other malpractices in public sector reforms and capacity building initiatives
- the required opportunities and potential to upskill oneself and others to foster economic development of the nation through successful public sector reform and capacity building
- required skills, experience and knowledge to build one’s capabilities to work in any sector, thus expanding one’s professional portfolio and increasing the avenues for career growth and development
- a sense of pride and satisfaction in being part of initiatives that contribute to the betterment of the quality of life of citizens and the economic development of the nation
The training methodology at Zoe Talent Solutions is highly customisable to the topic, audience, and organisation. It includes in-person training through audio/video presentations, together with group assignments, spot-quizzes, case studies and workgroups, experiential learning activities, role-plays, questionnaires, etc. to ensure active trainee participation.
This course follows Zoe Talent Solutions’ Do–Review–Learn–Apply Model.
With public sector professionals attending the course, the organisation will benefit in the following ways:
- More systematic, well-strategized implementation of public sector reforms and capacity building initiatives
- Reduced risk of corruption and other fraudulent practices that negatively impact the success of public sector reforms and capacity building initiatives
- Reduced training costs because of trained personnel who could, in turn, undertake upskilling and training of other employees in the organisation
- More aggressive and innovation-focused workforce to drive continuous learning and development as well as system and process enhancement within the organisation
- Reduced attrition because of equally competent and advanced opportunities as a result of public sector reform
- Increased customer satisfaction because of better services
Through this course, public sector professionals will derive the following benefits:
- Complete knowledge about Public Sector Management, two important points of focus concerning changing public demands
- Increased experience, ability and confidence to successfully undertake and drive public sector reforms and capacity building initiatives in one’s organisation
- Increased awareness and preparedness to minimise or eliminate the influence of corruption and other malpractices on the outcomes of public sector reforms and capacity building activities
- Greater potential and confidence to undertake additional roles and responsibilities within the organisation, thus ensuring faster career growth and progression
- A sense of pride to be able to play a role in improving public quality of life and fostering economic development of the nation
Who Should Attend
- Board Members, directors, and other top management officials of a public sector organisation – to thoroughly understand all important aspects of public sector management
- Shareholders and investors who are part of or want to be part of a firm’s delivery and function
- Human resource executives and managers are responsible for creating a performance-driven, skilled work culture for better results in terms of efficiency, quality and innovation.
- Members of compliance agencies responsible for ensuring transparency and integrity of information during and after the reform
- Any other personnel of public services who would be part of public sector reform and capacity building initiatives within the organisation
- Any non-public sector professional interested in public sector reform and who would play a role in reform and capacity building initiatives within public sector organisations
The Masterclass in Public Sector Management course will cover the following areas that are critical for a thorough understanding and successful public sector reforms and capacity building initiatives
Module 1 – Important Aspects of Focus when Undertaking Public Sector Reforms
- Rules and law
- Awareness around reforms
- Drivers of change
Module 2 – Key Principles of Public Sector Reforms
- Result-oriented framework
- Clarification of reform objectives
- Good political strategies and engagement
- Objective-oriented competencies and skill development
- Adequate yet risk-free experimentation and innovation
- Professionalisation and improvement in employee morale
- Standard code of conduct
- Effective anti-corruption strategies
- Efficient public financial management
Module 3 – Advantages of Public Sector Reforms
- Better management of public resources
- Better public service delivery
- Increased transparency and accountability
- Streamlined operations and processes
- Competitive advance in the global market space
Module 4 – Success Factors of Public Sector Reforms
- Reform plan
- Timeline for change
- Leadership support
- Government stability
- Clarity of reform objectives
- Performance improvement tools
- Resource availability
- Monitoring and evaluation tools
- Public sector reform law
Module 5 – Hindrances to Successful Public Sector Reforms
- Employee resistance
- Lack of political commitment
- Informal norms
- Uneven distribution of resources because of corruption and political influence
- Gender insensitivity
- Scarcity of capacity in resources and skill
Module 6 – Importance/Necessity of Capacity Building
- Shortage of skilled staff
- Weak institutional environment
- Improper utilisation of current capacity
- Inadequate continual training facilities
- Limited capacity to satisfy the needs and aspirations of skilled personnel
Module 7 – Forms of Capacity Building
- Programme- or project-specific
- Job- or task-related
Module 8 – Focus Points of Capacity Building
- Strategic management
- Policy Analysis and HR development and management
- Project management
- E-Government management
- Time and efficiency management
- Customer relationship management
- Quality management
- Change and crisis management
- Performance management
- Reform management
- Ethical management
Module 9 – Challenges to Effective Capacity Building
- Weak training policy
- Inadequate budgetary allocation
- Lack of awareness of the importance of capacity building
- Lack of capable trainers
- Impact of globalisation
- Lack of training orientation of trainees (resistance by employees)
- Mismanagement of funds
- Inconsistent external support
- All our courses can be facilitated as Customized In-House Training course.
- Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
- As for Open Enrolment Courses, we offer our clients the flexibility to choose the location, date, and time and our team of experts who are spread around the globe will assist in facilitating the course.
- The course fee includes facilitation, training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate of successful completion of Training.
- FREE Consultation and Coaching provided during and after the course.