All recent efforts to streamline public administration have given rise to the need for standard policies and guidelines across public sector organisations. Formulating policies is not the only step that could make a positive difference to public administration. Instead, the processes after policy formulation are of utmost importance to ensure the achievement of the objectives for creating the policy.
Policies are those directives of law, regulations and programs developed by public sector organisations to solve specific problems. Shaping public policy involves strategic planning as well as complex negotiations and interactions. Policy analysis is a systematic process for civil servants and other public sector officials to examine and evaluate existing problems, devise solutions, create policies and implement them across the organisation.
It is a beneficial method to check why policy outcomes fall short of policy objectives. Policy creation in the public sector is gaining importance with modernisation gaining momentum. The entire creation process includes identifying an issue, defining it, checking for suitable options, assessing the practicality and suitability of the options, selecting the most suitable option, formulating this into a policy, implementing the policy, monitoring and controlling the outcomes of the policy and gathering experience and learning for future policymaking, in turn increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
Policy implementation is the weakest and most vulnerable link in the entire policy process, and public leadership and governance can significantly influence its success or failure. One of the major mistakes and misconceptions that lead to failure in policy implementation is the belief that one policy could suit different organisations and work settings.
In fact, different departments within the same organisation may react differently to policy and hence policymakers need to formulate a general policy that suits all since the suitability of policy may differ across organisations depending on culture, mode of governance, institutional landscape, etc.
Since policymaking and implementation need to be undertaken carefully, understanding the process, the best practices related to successful policy implementation and the possible challenges that one could face during the process becomes important for public sector professionals.
This Policy Analysis Development course by ZTS will empower you with thorough knowledge and complete information on the end-to-end policy process, from identification to outcome.
Undertaking this Policy Analysis Development course will give you the necessary experience and exposure to play an important role in successful policy implementation such that employees of your organisation identify with the policy and follow it well, resulting in the desired outcomes defined at the start.
This Policy Analysis Development course will also prepare you for multiple challenges that you may encounter during the process, with both internal and external influence, such that you can pre-empt these and not allow these to affect your policy and the resultant benefits to your organisation and its employees.
The knowledge gained through this course will broaden your perspective and add to your skillset to be able to keep pace with the changing needs of public administration because of modernisation in the public sector, thus building your competency in terms of skill and experience.
The main objective of this Policy Analysis Development course is to empower public sector professionals with—
- Complete knowledge and information of the process, principles, practices and challenges of modern public policy analysis and implementation.
- The adequate skill and knowledge to play an important part in policy analysis, formulation and implementation in the organisation.
- The experience and preparedness to handle any challenges or obstructions to the entire policy process.
- A broader perspective to look beyond and think of situations, problems and their long-term solutions.
- The advantage of creating policies that suit employees and also resolve challenges well, thus ensuring maximum adherence by employees.
- An advantage of creating a conducive and disciplined work culture, with all employees respecting the policies and guidelines set out by the organisation.
- The ability to permanently resolve a problem that would have otherwise negatively impacted the growth of the organisation.
- The ability to critically examine the structure and functions of the organisation and make a positive difference.
This Zoe Talent Solutions’ course is delivered in different formats, depending on the training audience. The primary course content is delivered through face-to-face interactions and presentations. The training also includes group discussions, experience sharing, assignments and questionnaires, contests etc. to foster two-way participation and active interest during the training. To enhance relativity of the course content to their role at the workplace, trainees are encouraged to share personal challenges they face related to policy analysis, development, and implementation, and the trainer discusses possible best practices and solutions in response to these.
Like all Zoe Talent Solutions courses, it follows our Do–Review–Learn–Apply Model.
With public sector professionals attending the Policy Analysis Development course, the organisation will benefit in the following ways:
- A better prepared and more experienced workforce to participate in issue identification and appropriate policy formulation and implementation.
- Faster and permanent resolution to issues and problems through standards set within the organisation.
- A more disciplined and friendly work culture because of employee-friendly-yet-effective policies.
- Successful policy implementation resulting in outcomes that are beneficial to the growth and progress of the organisation.
- Increased capability to manage change because of modernisation, thus sustaining a competitive advantage within the market space.
- Lesser risk of failure and wastage of manpower, time and resources resulting from directionless policy creation.
Through this Policy Analysis Development course, public sector professionals will derive the following benefits:
- In-depth understanding of the policy process, from identification of the issue to measuring outcome and realising the benefits.
- Broader perspective and greater knowledge and experience to participate and successfully undertake responsibilities in the policy creation and implementation process.
- Scope to significantly contribute to organisational success through effective policy implementation.
- Increased skill and capabilities and more preparedness to undertake leadership responsibilities because of the exposure and experience gained.
- Increased ability to conceptualise the various theories of policymaking and analysis and choose the one that best suits one’s organisation.
- Greater capability and skill to evaluate the impact of a policy implemented.
Who Should Attend?
- The top management of a public sector organisation – to thoroughly understand best practices of policymaking and policy implementation and prepare for possible challenges that one would encounter during the process
- Human resource professionals responsible for creating a professional, policy-driven, disciplined work culture for better results in terms of employee satisfaction and growth of the business
- Compliance experts and professionals responsible for ensuring transparency and integrity of information as well as adherence to standards set within the organisation or internationally
- Policymakers and legal authorities responsible for ensuring adherence to required standards and for creating practical and friendly policies to benefit employees and the organisation.
- Any public servant interested in playing a role in policymaking and implementation
The course will cover the following areas that are critical for successful policy analysis, creation and implementation in the public sector:
Module 1 – Overview of Policy Making and Policy Analysis
- Definition of policy making
- Definition of policy analysis
- Steps before policy analysis
- Types of policies
Module 2 – Three Sets of Dynamics of Policy Analysis
- Problem identification
- Policy development
- Policy implementation
Module 3 – Types of Institutions in Policy-Making or Analysis
- Cognitive institution
- Associative institution
- Regulative institution
- Constitutive institution
Module 4 – Characteristics of Policy Analysis
- Research phase directed at a particular issue
- Memoranda and other document preparation (policy preparation, draft legislation, etc.)
- Multiple perspectives to one issue or problem
- Time-bound requirement
- Evident political influence
Module 5 – Levels of Policy
Module 6 – Important Aspects for Successful Policy Creation, Analysis and Implementation
- Clients and coalitions
Module 7 – Necessary Competencies for Successful Policy Implementation
- Stakeholder involvement
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Diversity management skills
- Communication abilities
- Listening and reasoning skills
- Networking abilities
- Innovation and creativity
- Leadership competencies
- Problem-solving skills
- Strategic thinking capability
- Technological skills
- Change management skills
- Customer focus
Module 8 – Factors Influencing Policy Implementation
- Administration style
- Employee skill and preparedness
- Work ethics and values
- Leadership influence
- Legislative direction
- Public accountability
- Democratic requirements
Module 9 – Success Factors for Policy Development and Implementation
- Multiple, relatable theories
- Stakeholder participation
- Effective communication
- Gender involvement, fostering diversity and inclusion
- Efficient and conducive work culture
Module 10 – Causes of Failure of Policy Implementation
- Unclear/ambitious policy goals
- Ineffective governance and corruption
- Institutional challenges and employee acceptance
- High external dependence for funding
- Political constraints
- Budgetary constraints
- Multiple causes to a single problem
- Expensive solutions
- Lack of communication
- Long period to realise effect and measure success
- All our courses can be facilitated as Customized In-House Training course.
- Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
- As for Open Enrolment Courses, we offer our clients the flexibility to choose the location, date, and time and our team of experts who are spread around the globe will assist in facilitating the course.
- The course fee includes facilitation, training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate of successful completion of Training.
- FREE Consultation and Coaching provided during and after the course.