Public relations is a strategic communications process that organisations use to build mutually beneficial relationships with the public. It encompasses all steps and actions taken to drive the public to think of an organisation as desired by the organisation itself. In most cases, public relations efforts are undertaken to ensure a positive image and reputation of an organisation in the eyes of the public.
Public relations could be considered a marketing plan or part of a marketing plan, aiming to create brand and product or service awareness. Good public relations can attract potential customers, strengthen the relationship with existing customers, promote an organisation’s visibility and online presence, etc.
A public relations specialist drafts a specialised communication plan and uses direct and indirect media to create and maintain a positive brand image and a strong relationship with the target audience. Plans under public relations also involve creating strategies for campaigns and other programs, planning and executing public outreach steps, handling the online presence of a brand, compiling content for the web, etc.
On the other hand, media relations refer to the relationship between an organisation and the media to share information and news with the public with an aim to improve the brand image of the organisation. One of the major challenges in media relations is that organisations have very little or no control over the type and content of news that is published. It is thus extremely important that organisations maintain good, healthy working relationships with media relations personnel.
Considering the sensitivity around the relationship between an organisation and the media, the responsibility of relationship building, content review, information dissemination, etc. needs specialised skills and training to be fulfilled successfully. Organisations appoint specialised officers called media relations specialists, media relations practitioners or media relations officers.
The main responsibility of this role is to ensure that information flow from the organisation to the public through the media is controlled, filtered and reviewed before it reaches the public. Thus, media skills are extremely important to make optimal use of the opportunity of reaching out to a target audience.
This Zoe’s public relations training course will empower you with complete knowledge of public relations and media skills. The knowledge and information gained through this course will equip you with all necessary skillsets to undertake higher roles and responsibilities with regard to public relations and media relations for your organisation, thus providing you larger and multiple career progression opportunities.
Further, this public relations training course will help you see the benefits of good public relations and media relations and will assist you in building a positive reputation and brand image for your organisation in the public eye. You will also be given the platform to demonstrate your skills and potential and build credibility to be entrusted with further roles in your organisation.
The main objective of this public relations training course is to empower professionals with—
- in-depth information on public relations and a detailed understanding of media skills required to maintain good media relations
- the required awareness, information and maturity to understand the impact of media coverage on the image and brand of the organisation
- the necessary confidence and experience to successfully coordinate and communicate with media professionals
- the adequate skill set to undertake sensitive roles and responsibilities concerning public relations and media relations for the organisation, thus contributing to better organisational branding and growth of the organisation as well as self-growth and progression
- the required confidence, experience, exposure and capability to manage media relations and content and information being released to the media, with an aim to protect and uphold a positive brand image for the organisation
- the necessary skillset and ability to filter important content and make necessary changes for effective and impactful launches of press releases
- the confidence and experience to build good working relationships with media personnel
- the required confidence to balance being transparent and protecting the reputation of the organisation
Zoe Talent Solutions follows a training format that prefers practical modes of training, rather than theoretical ones. Each training course is highly customisable and is thoroughly reviewed before the commencement of each training session. The training is delivered by a highly experienced professional in the relevant domain.
Trainees are encouraged to actively partake in the training through group activities and role-plays. Case studies are discussed in detail to draw reference to easily relatable stories rather than only theoretical learning.
This course, like all Zoe Talent Solutions courses, follows the effective Do–Review–Learn–Apply Model.
With professionals undertaking this PR training course, their organisations will benefit in the following manner:
- Experienced and trained employees who thoroughly understand the importance of public relations and media skills
- Better media coverage for passage of positive information to the public
- Better organisational branding
- Better handling and management of media and information released in the media
- Well-managed campaigns and media events
- Greater customer satisfaction because of conscious public relations efforts to understand the problems of the public and address them immediately
- Good and healthy working relationships with media professionals
- High-quality and positive news and press releases
- Greater investments because of positive organisational branding
By undertaking this public relations training course, professionals will benefit in the following ways:
- Complete understanding and knowledge of public relations and media skills through this program
- Increased knowledge, skill and confidence to undertake higher roles and responsibilities related to public relations and media relations, fostering career growth and progression
- Increased awareness and experience to build and maintain a good working relationship with media professionals
- Greater confidence, experience and knowledge to make media announcements on behalf of one’s organisation and control, at least to some extent, the level and quality of news and information flowing to the public
- Enhanced skill set to create and maintain a positive brand image for one’s organisation
- Increased awareness to carefully check and review facts being presented in the media
- Increased skill and capability to work with recent, advanced tools to handle the branding and promotional activities for one’s organisation, demonstrating potential and capability and opening avenues for further career growth and progression
- Increased confidence to train other employees on branding best practices and interactions with the media
- Increased confidence, awareness and maturity to balance between being transparent to the public and protecting the reputation of the organisation
Who Should Attend
- Senior members and managers of an organisation who need to understand the importance of public relations and the need for media skills training
- Marketing professionals who should understand public relations and the need for healthy interaction with the media
- Members of branding agencies who assist organisations in their branding and public relations strategies and plans
- Human resource professionals who are also involved, to a certain extent, in branding activities of an organisation
- Investors and stakeholders interested in understanding the importance of public relations in maintaining the prospect of an organisation by providing facts related to future business opportunities
- Any other professional interested in knowing more about public relations and media skills
The public relations training course covers the following topics important to understand public relations and media skills:
Module 1 – Functions of Public Relations
- Anticipating, analysing and interpreting public opinion
- Drafting strategies for campaigns and other plans
- Writing and/or reviewing press releases and other web content
- Planning and executing special public outreach events
- Developing a crisis public relations strategy
- Managing online presence of the organisation
- Dealing with government and legislative agencies on behalf of the organisation
- Handling investor relations
- Dealing with public groups and other organisations
Module 2 – Examples of Public Relations
- Press conferences
- Community development programs
- Investor summits
- Industry meets
- In-house engagements
Module 3 – Importance of Public Relations
- Builds organisational image and reputation
- Presents opportunities
- Promotes brand value
- Strengthens community relations
Module 4 – Advantages of Public Relations
- Build organisational goodwill and brand in the market
- Improve industry relations
- Develop relations with the media
- Improve relations with investors and stakeholders
- Connect better with internal audience
Module 5 – Challenges in Public Relations
- No direct control on news or information released
- No guaranteed results
- Minimal evaluation
Module 6 – Types of Media
Module 7 – Necessary Media Skills
- Narrating a story
- Getting comfortable on the phone
- Staying savvy on social media
- Presenting facts always
- Being professional in all interactions
Module 8 – Responsibilities of a Media Relations Officer
- Prepare or review articles and press releases for the media
- Upkeep and protect the organisational brand and reputation
- Create and enhance collaborative working relationships with the media
- Manage news and information flow from the organisation to the media
- Create effective communication channels
- Act as a media spokesperson on behalf of the organisation detect and address public relations issues
- All our courses can be facilitated as Customized In-House Training course.
- Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
- As for Open Enrolment Courses, we offer our clients the flexibility to choose the location, date, and time and our team of experts who are spread around the globe will assist in facilitating the course.
- The course fee includes facilitation, training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate of successful completion of Training.
- FREE Consultation and Coaching provided during and after the course.
- Check our all Public Relation Courses