This training course discusses transformer design and operation, as well as safe and proper maintenance and testing procedures on power transformers. It covers the elementary concepts of transformers including magnetism and electromagnetism, and the role of transformers in power systems, regulations, and voltages.
Transformers serve the vital function of converting voltages to meet the requirements of appliances. Incorrect use, maintenance and negligence of transformers can cause substantial losses to businesses as well as to the environment.
Therefore, this Construction, Installation and Maintenance of a Transformer course presents basic safe operational and field diagnostics of transformers with emphasis on safe construction, installation and maintenance.
Why is the maintenance of a transformer important? Transformers are fundamental components of a power distribution system, but sometimes they are the least understood. With a sound grasp on the construction, installation and maintenance of transformers, you will be able to make knowledgeable decisions about the performance and maintenance of this critical part of a power supply system.
What kind of knowledge does the ‘Construction, Installation and Maintenance of a Transformer’ course provide? This transformer training course provides a complete overview of electrical transformers found in the industry.
This course will also cover the special transformers, transformer components, materials, cooling of transformers, performance, electrical limitations and fault management.
During the course, participants will be able to understand the importance of the proper operation, protection, and management of transformers and learn how to perform transformer maintenance, routine examinations and diagnostic evaluations.
This Zoe training course will empower you with the consciousness of knowing the importance of maintenance procedures for transformers, as well as how to go about planning and carrying out its maintenance activities efficiently. The course covers basic transformers theory, its applications, and factors of consideration in its construction, maintenance and testing processes.
Upon completing this Construction, Installation and Maintenance of a Transformer course successfully, participants will be able to:
- Understand the fundamental tasks of a transformer
- Identify the different types of transformers and how to install and maintain each of them
- Describe special transformers and their components and materials
- Determine cooling schedules of transformers, performance and other factors
- Diagnose transformer faults and employ proper protection, operation and factory acceptance test (FAT)
- Understand and calculate voltages and currents
- Practice how to perform a polarity test on a potential transformer
- Troubleshoot and examine power transformers in a professional manner
- Discuss the basic concepts of transformer covering the main electric parameters and laws, the job of transformers in power systems, principles, guidelines and voltages
- Install, test and commission transformer efficiently
- Conduct routine inspections and diagnostic assessments to improve life expectancy
This is an interactive Construction, Installation and Maintenance of a Transformer training program and will consist of the following training approaches:
- Case Studies
- Role Play
- Group Work
Just like all our courses, this program also follows the ‘Do-Review-Learn-Apply’ model.
Firms who send in their workforce to partake in this Construction, Installation and Maintenance of a Transformer course can benefit in the following ways:
- Crisis aversion: trained employees will be better equipped to prevent transformer-related issues
- Increase competence: develop your technical employees’ skills and knowledge in installing transformers effectively in order to prevent damages
- Broader insight and subject-matter experts: participants will have access to professional instructors and peers to discuss work-related problems
- Less downtime from work: flexible training methods requiring less (or no) time away from work
- Customisation: we can consider tailoring our content to your organisation’s needs
Individuals who participate in this Construction, Installation and Maintenance of a Transformer course can gain from it in the following ways:
- Technical development: completing this course successfully will give you substantial knowledge and confidence in the construction, installation, and maintenance of transformers
- Foresee critical issues: you will have the foresight to anticipate challenges and hindrances in transformer maintenance and act on these to prevent dangerous outcomes
- In-depth course material: deep dive into the technical details of operating and maintaining transformers, and master the areas covered in the course
- Interactive lessons: interactive sessions let you connect with your instructor and peers to learn from real-world examples that will build your skillset and can be applied in your respective role as well
- Case studies: gain practical knowledge that will give you an edge in your workplace
- Cost-effective: you can obtain a professional qualification at a competitive cost if you sign up for this course with Zoe
Who Should Attend?
This Construction, Installation and Maintenance of a Transformer training program will be beneficial to all field technicians, engineers, supervisors and individuals in any other roles who are responsible for the testing and maintenance of power transformers.
It is also aimed at those who are involved in the installation, operation and preservation of power systems. Managers, safety workers, and those responsible for ensuring a safe work environment should also attend this course. Essentially, anyone who works on or closes to sites with power generation, diffusion, or distribution systems should attend this program.
MODULE 1 – BASIC CONCEPTS
- Electric Parameters and Regulations
- Magnetism and Electromagnetism
- Lenz & Faraday’s Theories
- Single and Three-phase Circuits
- Basic Transformer’s Theory
- The Function of Transformers in Power Systems
- Principles and Regulations
MODULE 2 – TRANSFORMER COMPONENTS
- Transformer Materials
- Cooling of Transformers
- Transformer Performance
- Vector Group
- Voltage Regulation
- Transformer Errors & Protection
- Types of Faults (Oil & Insulation, Windings, Overloads, Overheating)
- Types of Protections (Built-on, Differential, Overcurrent, Restricted Earth Fault, Overload, Fire)
- Surge Arresters
- Types of Tests (Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT), Type Tests, Routine Tests)
MODULE 3 – APPLICATIONS
- Instrument Transformers
- Distribution Transformers
- Power Transformers
- Special Purpose Transformers
MODULE 4 – ACCESSORIES
- Overcurrent Protection
- Pressure Relief Devices
MODULE 5 – BASIC TRANSFORMERS THEORY
- DC and AC Power Circuits
- Reactive Circuits
- Principles of Transformers
- Three-Phase Power
MODULE 6 – TRANSFORMER INSTALLATION
- Transformer Installation & Testing
- Mountings (Floor Mounted, Pad-Mounted, Pole Mounted)
- Oil Preservation Basin
- Neutral Grounding
- Earthing and Bonding
- Transport and Management
MODULE 7 – MAINTENANCE OF TRANSFORMERS
- Glitches and Failures
- Transformer Maintenance
- Maintenance of Transformer Types (Small, Dry-Type, Liquid-Filled)
- Scheduled Inspections & Diagnostic Evaluation
- Precautionary Maintenance & Inspection
- Visual Inspection
- Power Factor Insulation Testing
- Transformer Turns Ratio (TTR)
- Insulation Resistance
- Insulation Power Factor
- Site Acceptance Tests (SAT)
- Oil Analysis & Trials
MODULE 8 – SAFETY AND ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT
- Electrical Dangers
- Safety Issues relating to High Voltage Apparatus
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Electrical Safety Appraisal