Recent changes in technology and the manner in which utilities and industrial organisations operate has greatly emphasised the development of integrated protection and control. Maintenance systems are put in place to prevent faults from damaging electrical plants and to initiate isolation of faulted sections in order to maintain continuity of supply elsewhere on the system.
Power distribution equipment that is reliable, safe, and efficient is essential for electrical installation. This training course includes the construction, operation, and maintenance facets of the equipment namely the circuit breakers, transformers, switches, ring main unit, and protection devices. Safe operations of electrical equipment are vital as they are protected by modern and advanced relays and security devices.
Distribution equipment plays an essential role in the safe allocation of electrical power and arc flash hazards analysis is also vital to ensure that the equipment is operated in a safe manner, assuring uninterrupted supply to consumers. This course will take a closer look at the equipment installed in and electrical installation.
A well-designed and commissioned maintenance regime is essential to ensure safe operations and trouble-free electrical functions. This training course focuses mainly on the electrical safety, security, and reliability of electrical equipment, which are the main attributes of all equipment.
It also discusses the operation and maintenance of distribution equipment like circuit breakers, transformers, protection relays and cables pertaining to the auxiliary equipment required for its operation.
What aspects of “Electrical Distribution Equipment Operation & Maintenance” does this course cover? In addition to the fundamentals of the operation and maintenance of electrical distribution equipment, this course looks at the actual importance and significance of the maintenance process.
It also focuses on understanding the purposes of choosing the most suitable test instruments, the severity of arc flashes, mitigation techniques, safe operations of circuit breakers and transformers, and key principles of the electrical protection system.
This Zoe training course will empower you with detailed knowledge in the characteristics of circuit breakers, the importance and role of UPS and batteries, the different types of maintenance procedures and the functionalities of protection relays.
Upon completing this Electrical Distribution Equipment Operation & Maintenance course successfully, participants will be able to:
- Recognise the importance and significance of maintenance
- Understand the major power distribution equipment
- Understand the functions and purposes of choosing the correct test instruments
- Categorise the methods of setting up, testing, and assigning electrical equipment according to electricity supply industry standards
- Deduce test results to make sure the electrical equipment performs in line with industry specifications
- Determine the various types of maintenance strategies
- Clarify the different types of circuit breakers
- Analyse the characteristics of oil-immersed transformers
- Discover and read all construction drawings required to complete the task in accordance with electricity supply industry standards.
- Design a simple electrical power distribution system integrating the main power distribution equipment
- Ensure safe operations of circuit breakers and transformers
- Principles of the electrical protection system
- Obtain and analyse information on system diagrams/plans to ensure the installation, inspection & testing electrical equipment can be completed in accordance with electricity supply industry standards.
- Find the resources required (plant, personnel, equipment, tools) to ensure that tasks can be completed according to industry 0020 standards and procedures
This collaborative Electrical Distribution Equipment Operation & Maintenance training program will comprise the following training methods:
- Seminars & Presentations
- Group Discussions
- Case Studies & Functional Exercises
Like all our acclaimed courses, this program also follows the ‘Do-Review-Learn-Apply’ model.
Companies who nominate their employees to participate in this Electrical Distribution Equipment Operation & Maintenance course can benefit in the following ways:
- Gain an understanding of the need for routine inspection
- Give emphasis on ensuring that the equipment being used is appropriate for each organisation
- Obtain awareness and understanding of the Course Objectives and its relationship to your specific organisation
- Recognise the importance of implementing safe working practices
- Analyse the various risk reduction techniques that can be incorporated
Individuals who participate in this Electrical Distribution Equipment Operation & Maintenance course can gain from it in the following ways:
- Be responsible for routine inspections, adequate maintenance of equipment and accurate record-keeping
- Learn different methods of maintenance management using safe systems of work
- Understand how to coordinate maintenance activities for best utilisation of time and resources, while ensuring safety
- Assess switchgear maintenance procedures and transformer maintenance strategies using cable installation and fault-finding techniques
- Become adept in the use of non-intrusive condition monitoring methods
Who Should Attend?
This Electrical Distribution Equipment Operation & Maintenance course would be suitable for:
- Electrical Professionals
- Electrical Engineers
- Power Engineers
- Managers in-charge of electrical installations
- Project engineers
- Professionals responsible for:
- operation and maintenance of distribution equipment
- planning, monitoring, and implementing maintenance activities
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION TO ELECTRIC HAZARDS AND SAFETY PROTOCOLS
- Goals and Discussion
- The Smart Grid Architecture
- Maintenance of Electrical Equipment
- Managing Maintenance
- Safety Culture
- Safety Integrity Level (SIL)
- Electrical Safety Rules
- Electrical Hazards and Emergencies
MODULE 2: POWER NETWORK ESSENTIALS AND SYSTEMS PROTECTION
- Power Network Fundamentals
- Faults and Protection
- Fault Levels for transformer
- Types of the Protection Relay
- Numerical Relays
- Arc Flash Mitigation
- Importance of Earthing
- Network Earthing
MODULE 3: POWER AND DISTRIBUTION TRANSFORMERS – OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES
- Transformer Characteristics
- Transformer Cooling and Protection
- On-load Tap Changer Operation
- Transformer Site Testing
- Transformer Maintenance
- Dry Transformer
- Gas Insulated Transformer (GIT)
- Ester Oil for Brand New Power and Distribution Transformers
MODULE 4: SWITCHGEAR, CIRCUIT BREAKERS, AND CONDITION TRACKING
- Switchgear Maintenance
- Circuit Breaker Ratings and Operation
- Circuit Breaker Examples
- Alternatives to SF6 Gas
- HV Vacuum Circuit Breakers
- Hybrid Outdoor Circuit Breakers
- Instruments for Partial Discharge Monitoring
- Instruments for Thermal Imaging and Corona Detection
MODULE 5: GAS-INSULATED SWITCHGEAR BASIC VOLTAGE CABLES FAULTS AND LOCATING METHODS
- Overview of Gas-insulated Switchgears
- Power Cables Construction and Characteristics
- Common Underground Cable Faults
- Cable Fault Locating
- Heat Shrink and Cold Shrink Cable Terminations and Joints
- LV Wiring and Cabling Systems
- Wrap-up Session