Corporate Governance, the set of elements (rules, regulations, legislations and principles) that help a firm operate, has more or less been well defined and structured in the private sector; however, corporate governance in the public services has recently been gaining attention because of the scope and impact of public service delivery.
Public governance knowledge is important to ensure efficiency and quality of public service, which determines the quality of life. Corporate governance is important for small public companies to scale up and for large ones to garner the interests of investors.
Because of the scope of service, the public sector faces a high risk of fraudulent and unethical practices, dissatisfaction and lack of alignment of employees, disagreements and lack of interests by managing committees, etc. Poor corporate governance in the public sector could affect an organisation’s credibility, integrity and, in turn, its financial health and stability.
Alternately, good governance results in better wealth management increased public engagement and well-being and good corporate citizenship in terms of ethical conduct, responsibility towards the environment, etc. It is thus extremely important to understand corporate governance in the public sector in its entirety;
Identify the pain areas causing maximum hindrances in seamless administration and management, such as budget deficits, inefficient fund and labour use, low service quality, lack of accountability, etc. and devise means and measures to address these immediately. Resolving these issues would help board members set up an organisation for success through appropriate prioritisation and best practice replication.
This ZOE training course will empower you with an in-depth understanding of what Corporate Governance in the Public Services entails, the teething issues affecting this sector until date and techniques and ideas to offset these in order to meet the objective of satisfying public needs and to build a successful career in the public services industry.
The Corporate Governance, Business Ethics and Social Responsibility in the Public Services course would also give the professional the required insight, skills, environment, and platform to successfully execute a strategy, develop and attract talent to the public sector for sustenance and enhance the firm’s value, thereby reducing financial risks and increasing shareholder returns.
The primary objective of this course is to empower public sector professionals with:
- An in-depth understanding of Corporate Governance in Public Services, including:
- All spheres of management – action plans, internal controls as policies and procedures to protect against fraud and misconduct, performance management for quality delivery, disclosures for transparency and for building trust and credibility, etc.
- The necessity of proper corporate governance in the public sector
- Prevailing issues and their possible solutions
- Knowledge of how to balance between financial optimisation, shareholder resolution, and well-being and public quality of life
- Exposure and experience to manage the shift from old administration methods to new corporate techniques and best practices
- Perspective to devise and implement strategies for long-term success and sustainability
- Comprehension of the essentials to build an effective structural framework for accountability and ownership among stakeholders
- The required skill enhancement and know how to become a more effective and efficient public services’ professional
- Experience and perspective to better manage conflict
With key members of an organisation attending this Corporate Governance, Business Ethics and Social Responsibility in the Public Services course, the organisation will benefit in the following ways:
- Greater efficiency, accountability, and ownership by members of the Board and other top management.
- Improved relations with investors and prospective investors because of the board members’ in-depth understanding of corporate governance.
- Improved transparency and integrity of information among and from all stakeholders.
- The better strategic and operational direction towards the achievement of organisational objectives.
- Shift from a mere compliance mentality to a strategic, well-suited approach to defining processes and systems.
- Identification and implementation of best practices of other successful Boards
- A positive and ambitious Board culture
- Greater mitigation of risks and unethical practices
- Better crisis management
By attending this course, public sector professionals will derive the following benefits:
- Increased ability to think strategically and make changes in processes and structures accordingly
- Enhanced capability to manage change more positively
- Developed thought leadership
- The broadened perspective of management
- Improved understanding of one’s responsibilities and opportunities therein
- More informed decision making and conflict management and resolution
- Increased understanding of legislations and other influencing policies and principles
- Well-defined, clear succession plan and growth path
- Security against risks of fraud and corruption
- Increased financial stability
Who should Attend?
- Directors, Board Members, Chief Financial Officers and other members constituting the top management of an organisation – to thoroughly understand and master all critical aspects impacting the efficiency and quality of service delivery.
- Shareholders and investors who are part of or want to be part of a firm’s delivery and function
- Human resource directors and professionals are responsible for compensation and other aspects affecting an organisation and its work culture.
- Legal professionals are responsible for and involved in preparing contracts and other legal notices and agreements to this effect.
- Auditors and members of compliance agencies responsible for ensuring transparency and integrity of information and facts reported by public sector organisations.
The course will cover the following areas critical to efficient and optimal corporate governance in the public service industry:
Module 1 – Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Overview of Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Importance of Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Impact of good Corporate Governance on society and the economy
Module 2 – Role of Board Members in Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Types of Boards in public sector organisations – representational, hands-on, etc.
- Duties of the Board – legal, strategic, fiduciary, oversight, etc.
- Individual Director responsibilities – care, loyalty, obedience, etc.
- Characteristics of an effective Board
- Management of Board responsibilities in case of mergers and acquisitions
Module 3 – Other Roles in Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Chief Executive Officers
- Auditors/Compliance agencies
- HR professionals
- Legal professionals
Module 4 – Challenges in Corporate Governance and ways to address them
- Ethical issues
- Internal and external pressure
- Risk management and mitigation
- Inaccurate data reporting and disclosures
Module 5 – Corruption – the most challenging of all issues
- Scope of corruption in the Public Services
- Types of corruption
- Ways to prevent corruption
- Laws against corruption
- Setting up an institutional framework against corruption
Module 6 – Mandates for Effective Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Importance of Audits – How, why and when to conduct
- Data – How to derive, interpret, manage and implement
- Budgets – how to utilise budgets effectively
- Media – How to use media to advocate value-driven governance
Module 7 – Soft skills for Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Building accountability and responsibility
- Maintaining transparency and openness
- Maintaining ethics and a value-driven work culture
- Fostering decentralisation and devolution
Module 8 – Legal and other Regulatory Foundations
- Compliance – what and why
- Understanding national and international regulatory and legislative frameworks
- Understanding regulations across various sectors
- Managing public grievance redressal systems
- All our courses can be facilitated as Customized In-House Training course.
- Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
- As for Open Enrolment Courses, we offer our clients the flexibility to chose the location, date, and time and our team of experts who are spread around the globe will assist in facilitating the course.
- The course fee includes facilitation, training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate of successful completion of Training.
- FREE Consultation and Coaching provided during and after the course.